The years before blogs and tv was king
May 23, 2011
Posted by on
My previous site was otakurean.com , i talked a lot about my stupid-days-as-an-otaku-who-spends-money-on-silly-things-that-matters-only-to-otaku and sometimes i regret that i spent those money because if i didn’t i would have more money now.
I hardly talk about anime though because “being an otaku isn’t all about anime”, then i think why the fuck did i consider myself to be an otaku back then?. Is not like i have no social circle nor was i unpopular nor did i had problems dealing with people. Probably , back then before dannychoo became uber famous and rich, otaku was cool. Maybe something like an identity for lost young-adults. I remember when dannychoo.com was still a personal site thats has great gundam model making tips but today, I don’t know what the hell it is anymore. I don’t even visit it anymore. I’m happy for him to make it big and yes i’ve signed up and attended his blogging workshop and even shook his hands before. But .. I don’t know, i don’t feel like talking about him or his site anymore. Let’s move on,
Next! back to topic. So my previous site, i hardly talk about anime. Before i started buying figurines and stuff i was watching anime. In fact, when i was even younger, the only box i had was the TV. internet back then was 56k , game consoles back then was sega, gameboy (fat) , i highly doubt there’s blogs, probably geocities and alike. So TV was my best friend, TV shows back then was fucking good. There wasnt even cable!! or at least cable was just too far out expensive. Normal TV was great. I watched so many animes on tv. Again I highly doubt that i called it anime, probably Cartoons. And yes, anime back then was dubbed in chinese, most likely Taiwan imports. But i highly enjoyed it. I was lost in that little anime world back then.
Tv start to decline when the internet and cable starts kicking in, more people can afford those luxury and slowly normal TV just became re-runs and started to suck. But before tv sucked too much , the titles i remember watching on tv are , (in no time order nor preferences and whenever i have the “OH YA THIS TOO!” moments), Funny how the 90s i remember were a really great decade of animes. Yes there are titles dating even further than the 90s but i watched it when i was a kid in the 90s. I was born 1987, so my most decent memories probably started from 1991 or 1992. If you watched too much tv like i did in those times, hit me up via comments or link a post to this.
- Great teacher Onizuka | OP
- Evangelion | OP
- Gundam W | OP
- Slam dunk | OP
- UFO ロボ·グレンダイザー, UFO robot, Grendizer | OP
- Transformer (yes it was anime & watched americanized version) | OP
- Raman 1/2 | OP
- Cardcaptor Sakura | OP
- Ghost in the shell (original movie) | OP
- Jin-Roh | Trailer
- 黄金戦士ゴールド・ライタン, Gold lightan (gold zippo super robot) | OP
- 逮捕しちゃうぞ, you’re under arrest | OP
- 機動警察パトレイバー, Patlabor | OP
- 空想科学世界ガリバーボーイ, Kuso Kagaku Sekai Gulliver Boy (<3) | OP
- YAT安心!宇宙旅行, YAT Anshin! Uchū Ryokō (♥♥♥)| OP
- 絶対無敵ライジンオー , Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh (♥♥♥) | OP
- 魔神英雄伝ワタル, Mashin Eiyuden Wataru (♥♥♥ yes both seasons ♥♥♥) | OP , S2OP
- マッハGoGoGo , a.k.a Speed Racer (i watched the american version ) | OP
- 科学忍者隊ガッチャマン , Battle of the Planets, G-Force: Guardians of Space | OP
- サクラ大戦, Sakura Wars | OP
- 聖闘士星矢, Saint Seiya | OP
- 鎧伝サムライトルーパー , Ronin Warriors | OP
- 美少女戦士セーラームーン , Sailor moon | OP
- ドラゴンボール , Dragon ball (this was before DBZ) | OP
- 彼氏彼女の事情 , Kare Kano | OP
Actually i’m not sure if i caught Space Battleship yamato before on tv. Is funny how sometimes memories can feel fuzzy. Well i got a feeling i’ve watched more than this list i compiled. But i guess is as good as it gets for now. If i can remember i’ll do up a similar post again.